Places to visit & Things to do in Coimbatore
Since some of the popular hill stations in India, including Ooty, Coonoor and Valparai, are at a close proximity from Coimbatore, it is quickly becoming a popular tourist destination. The Siruvani Waterfalls is also not very far away.
Coimbatore not is the industrial hub of Tamil Nadu, it has some really wonderful places of tourist interest; both natural and historical.
Attractions in Coimbatore:
• VOC Amusement Park and Zoo The amusement park, named after the freedom fighter V. O. Chidambaram, is an exciting place for both children and adults. The main attraction of the park includes a number of joy rides, an aquarium containing large variety of fish, a zoo and a toy train.
• Marudhamalai Located on a hillock about 12 km from Coimbatore Railway Station, the temple of Marudhamalai, dedicated to Lord Subramanya, is one of the most visited temples in the region. One of the reasons of the large number of devotees flocking the temple is that the residing deity Dandayuthapani is believed to have performed several miracles here. Thai Poosam and Tirukarthigai festivals are celebrated with great pomp and gaiety at this temple.
• Agriculture University Situated about 5 km from the railway station, the Tamil Nadu Agricultural University is one of the best institutions for agricultural studies in Asia. The university spread in an area of 300 hectares also houses a botanical garden with different species of plants and trees.
• Perur Perur is a small town situated about 6 km from Coimbatore. Its main claim to fame is the holy Perur Temple, one of the seven Kongu Sivalayams. The outer buildings of the temple were built by rulers of Madurai in the 17th century but the inner shrine is much older. The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva. One of the remarkable features here is the figure of a sepoy (Indian soldier) loading a musket carved on the base of the pillar near the entrance, wearing identical dress to that of the Aurangzeb's soldiers.
• Forest College The Forest College is located at a short distance from the railway station. A museum located inside the college is one of the major tourist attractions housing a collection of unique rocks, minerals, snakes, insects and other types of fungi.
• Siruvani Waterfalls The picturesque Siruvani Waterfalls and Dam is situated about 37 km west of the city. The place abounding in natural beauty leaves the tourists mesmerized and spellbound by its sheer natural splendor. The water of Siruvani contains a lot of minerals and is known for its taste.
Has the pride of having the world's second tastiest water "Siruvani Water" after Nile. Coimbatore is an orthodox city. It has developed in terms of wealth, however the general populace is still down to earth. People here don't have a flashy lifestyle, they are generally very content. Most of all the Coimbatoreans are known for the respect displayed in language towards everyone.
If you are planning to take outdoor trip, Coimbatore will obviously be the most pleasant place to interest and excite. Coimbatore is an excellent choice to destination to visit along with your family and friends. You can taste mouth watering recipes and enjoy the best place of accommodation to relax and refresh.