TripnTale is the best place to show off your travel   Upload Photos Now! X

How ya going?

Viewed: 317  



It’s Monday again and time for another update.  I skipped an update last week for your sanity because the last two weeks haven’t been super eventful.  We are both still working for Expedia and Oscar is in his final weeks of school, so he’s busy finishing up his group projects and final exams.  I am in the process of applying for a work visa so I can continue to work for Expedia until we leave next year.  As long as everything goes okay, it should be finalized in the next few weeks.  It will be great to know that when we get back from our 40 crazy days of traveling that I will have a job and we have $ to come back to.  Oscar should be at Egencia until the middle of Novemba (as he says it) and then he will need to look for something when we get back from our travels.  We are really looking forward to the 40 days of crazy traveling and we are so grateful for this once in a lifetime opportunity that we are living. 

Last weekend, since Oscar had to study, I decided to go to Homebush and see the Sydney Olympic Park.  I took the ferry boat there and was amazed at how pretty the harbor is and how big it is too.  I thought I could “wing it” when I got there and that was a BAD idea.  I arrived at the warf and soon realized that there was only 1 bus going where I wanted to go (to the Olympic village/main area) and that it wasn’t leaving for another hour and that the park was much bigger than I thought.  With no map and no clue what I was doing I started walking in what I thought was the right direction.  Well, it sort of was and honestly it was a really boring walk and I ended up walking for about 1.5 hrs until I finally got to where I wanted to be.  By the time I got there all I wanted to do was leave.  The centre is pretty boring actually and is really only exciting when there is a venue/sporting event going on.  So, I grabbed a quick lunch and finally made my way to the Homebush factory outlets (this is really what I was most interested in :).  I spent a few hours shopping and buying presents and then made my way back home via train.  Overall it was a fun day, but I learned my lesson to not just “wing it” and next time I will look at a map and make sure I know what the heck I’m doing! 

It’s officially Spring in Sydney, and the weather has started getting really nice.  People are coming out of their shells and the city is starting to have even more life.  Last week was the start of the noodle market in Hyde Park (it goes for 2 weeks).   Basically they set up noodle/Asian venues and seating in the park.  There are about 30 different booths and lots of good food to chose from.   I grabbed dinner there last week before mi clase de espanol to check it out and Oscar and I are going to try to eat there again this week before it closes.  Since the weather has been so good we’ve been trying to take advantage.  On Saturday, Oscar’s class got out a bit early so we decided to go for a walk through Centennial Park.  It’s only about a 10 minute walk from our house and it’s so beautiful.  Oscar goes running there some times and he wanted to show me his black swan friends.  So, we brought some bread and fed the birds… and man were there a lot of birds.  I got a little freaked out with all the pigeons, seagulls, ducks, and tons of other birds getting WAY too close (I kind of have a thing about birds) but I managed to feed a few and escape w/o one of them fully attacking me or pooping on me, but the highlight was seeing the cutest baby swans ever.  We must have seen 30 different species of birds in our walk that evening.  It was a lovely Saturday evening and we topped it off by having a wonderful homemade meal at home and watching a movie (except I fell asleep in the movie J). 

On Sunday the weather was beautiful again and we decided to head to Manly for the day and do the Manly to Spit Bridge walk.  It’s a 10 km (6 mile) one way walk/hike to “Spit Bridge”.  It was awesome!  The entire walk is along the coast and there are these small, secluded beaches and beautiful bush walking the entire way.  We took our time and really enjoyed the sites and being out in nature.  It’s so refreshing to be able to get outside and feel like you are far away from it all after living in such a big city.  Unfortunately we didn’t plan very well and didn’t realize how far and difficult of a hike it was so towards the end we were getting really hungry and tired, but it was all worth it.  Next time we will bring our bathing suits and bring more food/water supplies. 


Well, that’s it for now.  Oscar should be home from classes any minute and I have to get ready for bed so I can get up early tomorrow for my fitness class. 


Miss you all and hope all is well. 


Con Amor,

Piper y Oscar


Please Login or Sign Up to comment.



Living in Sydney

Sydney, Australia